Friday, June 20, 2008

Midsummer Eve

Walking through the greenwood in the blue haze of dusk, the warmth of the day still radiating in my skin, contrasting with the cool breeze rustling my hair. The boughs of the trees dance, the night comes alive with the peeping of frogs and the calls of night birds. Jasmine permeates the air, I am lost and dizzy and ecstatic.

The faint strain of flutes and fiddles floats on the wind drawing me further into the woods. In a small clearing, under the rays of the full moon, the faery folk hold their revels. From behind a flowering bush, I look on in wonder. They dance hand in hand, winding around and around, forming circles and breaking apart again in a never ending spiral. Snails sit on the sidelines providing seats for those not inclined to dance, spiders accompany the band on their webs and fireflies bob in and out of the phantasmagoria. A wild cacophony sounds, soothing and exhilarating all at once. The atmosphere is charged with a magic electricity.

Then Fate comes to play with me, causing me to slip and the noise breaks the spell. A thousand tiny glowing creatures fly at me at once, knocking me to the ground and disappear. I remember no more.

The sun's bright beams bring me to my senses. A perfect ring of toadstools my only proof I did not dream.

No comments: