Halloween is tomorrow! It hardly feels like it, but it is. And I still don't know what my costume is going to be. I'm just horribly disappointed this year. Outside of the Discount Halloween stores selling overpriced slutty costumes, you really wouldn't even know it. I've seen next to no decorations, there's been no major horror movie marathons on tv, nothing! Travel Channel did take me to some fab haunted houses around the country and finally TCM is having a 48 hour marathon of cheesy old horror movies which I'm currently watching, but shouldn't they have had a month long festival?? This is fucking Halloween! The holiest day of the year! I want to be immersed in it, and all it represents. Christmas can goddam wait a couple more weeks.
I have been a morbid creature my whole life, obsessed with anything dark. Some of us haven't forgotten what Halloween truly represents. I mean I love a good party as much as the next person don't get me wrong, but for me the party still has it's spiritual side. It's a reminder that that the lean times of winter loom, a reminder that evil is out there, but if we disguise ourselves in it's own robes and laugh at it, we can turn the tables and scare it off. A time to visit with our ancestors and friends that have moved on as the veil grows paper thin in the witching hour. A time to look our mortality in the face and mock it. Eat drink and be merry, my friends, for tomorrow we may die. A time to revel in our aliveness by scaring ourselves half to death.
So let's put on some face paint and do the danse macabre tomorrow night. The dead do travel fast and if you listen closely you can hear them wailing on the wind. Until then, I will be watching some B class horror...
No comments:
Post a Comment